Injection drug use
- Injection using new and/or unshared equipment NO RISK
- Injection using shared but disinfected equipment LOW RISK *
- Injection using shared and/or unclean equipment HIGH RISK
* There is evidence of transmission due to improperly cleaned needles and/or syringes.
"Shooting up, hitting up, jacking up, mainlining, cranking"
Sharing needles and syringes can also transmit other diseases, such as Hepatitis C.
Non-injection drug use
- Snorting or smoking drugs using new or unshared equipment (straws or pipes) NO RISK
- Snorting or smoking drugs using shared equipment (straws or pipes) NEGLIGIBLE RISK *
* Risk is negligible for HIV but low for Hepatitis C. Risk is associated with the potential presence of blood on these materials (straws, pipes, bottles, etc.).