Kivexa (3TC + Abacavir)
To open and view a larger
version of this image,
Each tablet of Kivexa is composed of two different medications: Ziagen (300 mg) and 3TC (300 mg). One Kivexa tablet should be taken with or without food once a day (at the same time every day).
Download Kivexa brochure.
** Attention **
Before prescribing this medication, your physician must first administer the HLA-B5701 test. This test should determine if you are at risk of a severe allergic reaction to Ziagen, one of the drugs contained in Kivexa.
The following minor side effects may often occur:
- Proper storage of the medication:
- Do not store the medication in the bathroom;
- Store the medication between 15 and 30 °C in a dark, dry area (away from light);
- Never place the medication in a pillbox for longer than 24 hours, in order to prevent it from drying out;
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
- If you miss a dose, avoid taking a double dose. Instead, wait until the next time you are supposed to take a pill and take a single dose of the medication, as prescribed by your physician.
- The pill should be swallowed. Do not chew, crush or bite into it.
- Avoid consuming alcohol at the same time as the medication, because this could cause liver damage.
- Consult a health-care professional at a hospital, clinic, CLSC or pharmacy before consuming any natural health products (vitamins and minerals, medicinal plants, homeopathic remedies, probiotics, etc.); over-the-counter medications such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin); or drops and syrups to treat coughs and sore throats (Benylin, Halls, Vicks, Cepacol, etc.) at the same time as the medication prescribed by your physician.
- If you feel any discomfort or illness after taking your medication, immediately contact your physician. It is possible that the dosage or the medication itself is not suitable for you, in which case, your doctor will find an alternative.