Sustiva (Efavirenz, EFV)
To open and view a larger
version of this image,
Sustiva is offered in two different dosages (in mg):
A) 200 mg: three Sustiva tablets should be taken without fatty foods, once a day before bedtime (at the same time each day).
Download Sustiva 200 mg brochure.
B) 600 mg: one Sustiva tablet should be taken without fatty foods, once a day before bedtime (at the same time each day).
Download Sustiva 600 mg brochure.
** Attention **
It is recommended that this medication be taken just before bedtime. Any undesirable side effects affecting the central nervous system, including drowsiness and dizziness, will be less bothersome during sleep.
The following gastro-intestinal side effects may often occur:
- Nausea (headaches);
- Abdominal pains.
Other side effects, affecting the central nervous system, may occur as well:
- Difficulty concentrating;
- Bizarre dreams;
- Proper storage of the medication:
- Do not store the medication in the bathroom;
- Store the medication between 15 and 30 °C in a dark, dry area (away from light);
- Never place the medication in a pillbox for longer than 24 hours, in order to prevent it from drying out;
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
- If you miss a dose, avoid taking a double dose. Instead, wait until the next time you are supposed to take a pill and take a single dose of the medication, as prescribed by your physician.
- The pill should be swallowed. Do not chew, crush or bite into it.
- Avoid consuming alcohol at the same time as the medication, because this could cause liver damage.
- Consult a health-care professional at a hospital, clinic, CLSC or pharmacy before consuming any natural health products (vitamins and minerals, medicinal plants, homeopathic remedies, probiotics, etc.); over-the-counter medications such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin); or drops and syrups to treat coughs and sore throats (Benylin, Halls, Vicks, Cepacol, etc.) at the same time as the medication prescribed by your physician.
- If you feel any discomfort or illness after taking your medication, immediately contact your physician. It is possible that the dosage or the medication itself is not suitable for you, in which case, your doctor will find an alternative.